21 August 2008

Day One...and then some

*picture is TehShortBus "helping" me get my classroom ready*

Really, I've been meaning to write about my first day since Monday (the actual first day), but honestly, I haven't had a second to even consider it. But, I decided I wasn't going to bring any work home this evening. I've worked (easily) 10 - 12 hour days every day for the last two weeks, I think it's time to take a minute for myself.

And, when I say "for myself" I mean: have a beer and write a blog after working an 11 hour day and spending ANOTHER $50 on supplies for my classroom.

When I finally fell into bed Sunday night (yes, I worked from home for a good 5 hours Sunday, and spent 5 hours on Saturday actually in my classroom...then another 2 working at home), I thought I was right on track. Coffee was prepped, alarm was set, I was showered, ShortBus was sleeping. Excellent. When I closed my eyes I figured I was as ready for Day One as I could possibly be, given the very short time I was provided.

Flash forward about 7 hours later... I wake up. It is quiet. Too quiet.
Alarm hasn't gone off yet.
But, something feels off.
Look at the clock... 6:15. 45 minutes AFTER I had set my alarm to go off. Damn!

I jump out of bed, focused on the ONE thing that is going to save me from going crazy... coffee. Into the kitchen to be greeted by the lovely aroma of fresh brewed coffee. In a now adrenaline infused foggy morning haze of "OMGOMGOMGOMG!" I go straight to the fridge for creamer, turn around and see a beautiful pot of coffee... all over the counter and floor. My persnickety coffee maker had decided it didn't like the way I put the filter in. REALLY?

So now I'm late, AND cleaning the kitchen.

After a QUICK shower, I decide I should wake Teh ShortBus, so he has a minute to wake up and eat a banana before I shove him off to school. But, he decides he doesn't want to get up. By the time we get to the car, he and I are both crying. Each for very different reasons.

I make it to school five minutes before the first bell.
Luckily, my first period class, at that point, was two students (now it's up to five). They were so freaked out at being the ONLY two students in the classroom, they didn't seem to notice how discombobulated I was.

Long story... um... well long... it has been a great week. Everyone I work with has been really supportive and helpful, my family and friends have been helpful and truly amazing, and I even got to spend a few minutes with CSB this week.

I am truly looking forward to tomorrow, and the end of my first week. I kinda feel like once I make it through this first week, it's all down hill from here. Plus, I think a bottle of celebration champagne is in order.


CamiKaos said...

Good job babe! GOOD JOB!


Audra said...

Yay! Could not be more proud!!! Go Gid!!!

Tyra said...

Go you!!

Marcus said...

I still can't believe that my sister is a school teacher. Well, congrats on your first week, see you on sunday.

Bubblewench said...

i hate when coffee pots rebel like that!

Congrats... I'm glad it's going well.

Lia Hollander said...

Yay! Remember to take time for yourself. New teaching jobs are exhausting.